- Social, cultural and political history of the ancient Jews, with strong interests in their Hellenistic, Roman and early Christian environments.
Ph.D., Columbia University, 1985
M.A., Columbia University, 1981
B.A., Yeshiva University, 197
Awards and Fellowships
- Junior Fellowship, Harvard Society of Fellows, 1987-1990
- Guggenheim Fellowship, 1999-2000
- Fellowship, Institute for Advanced Studies, Jerusalem, 2002-03
- Membership, School of Historical Studies, Institute for Advanced Study, Princeton, 2006-07
- NEH Fellowship, 2006-07
- Fellowship, Center for Advanced Judaic Studies, University of Pennsylvania, 2007-08
The Ancient Jews from Alexander to Muhammad, Cambridge University Press, 2014.
Were the Jews A Mediterranean Society: Reciprocity and Solidarity in Ancient Judaism, Princeton: Princeton University Press, 2010.
Imperialism and Jewish Society, 200 BCE to 640 CE, Princeton: Princeton University Press, 2001.
Josephus and Judaean Politics, Leiden: Brill, 1990.
With R. Bagnall, A. Cameron and K. Worp, Consuls of the Later Roman Empire, Atlanta: Scholars Press, 1987.